December 13, 2010

"Natural" Chicken

I had 3 choices today when I went shopping for chicken. Organic, all natural with no hormones added, and the last was just plain old chicken. I couldn't resist the sale price of the all natural chicken, I fell into temptation!

For future reference, guidelines state that any product can be labeled as "natural" if it contains no artificial flavoring, coloring, chemical preservative, synthetic ingredient, and has been minimally processed- it has only been handled as necessary to slaughter, clean, and make it ready for cooking. It says nothing about how an animal was raised, what it was fed, if it received antibiotics, or if it received hormones.

As for the statement "no hormones added" on the package? Sordid sales technique. Federal law prohibits the use of hormones in poultry (and pork).

So...what exactly made this all natural chicken different than the plain old chicken? Pretty much nothing. I can only take solace in the money I saved over not buying organic, which I'm not.





No comments:

Post a Comment